Extraction and Application of Chitosan from Lemon Peel on Cotton fabric for formaldehyde free Crease Recovery Finish
Cotton is most preferable Clothing material because of its desirable properties such as comfortably, wash ability, moisture absorbency and flexible. However the cotton has the undesirable properties such as crease formations and wrinkles during wash and wear. The serious problem of crease formation in the cotton materials are solved by treating it with cross lining materials using Formaldehyde and Non Formaldehyde Agents. The crease resistance of cotton fabrics are achieved by formaldehyde based N-methylol compound such as Di-MethylolDihydroxy Ethylene Urea (DMDHEU), Non Formaldehyde Agents using polycarboxylic acids. But use of formaldehyde based chemicals for crease resistant harms the wearers and environment critically. This research focused on an alternative method of crease resistance on cotton material by extraction of citric acids from natural citrus fruit lemon peels. Recovery and resistance of crease of cotton will be evaluated by crease recovery angle. The physical properties were evaluated and the effects of citric acid to the environment were determined.
2. Yahya Can, MuhammetAkaydin, YıldırayTurhan, Ercan Ay, Effect of wrinkle resistance finish on cotton fabric properties, Indian Journal of Fibre and Textile Research 34(2), June 2009, pp 183-186.
3. P.Bajaj,Ecofriendly finishes for textiles, Indian Journal of Fibre and Textile Research 26(1),March 2001:162-186.
4. Bischof-Vukušić, Sandra; Katović, Drago, Creaseproof finishing using phosphono-based catalysts with polycarboxylic acids // Colourage, 47 (2000), 1; 87-94.
5. J Spiegel, Contents of the ILO Encyclopaedia of Occupational health and Safety,Chapter 55 - Environmental Pollution Control, 4th edition.
6. Welch C.M.: Formaldehyde-free durable-press finishes, Rev. Prog. Coloration, Vol. 22 (1992) p32-40.
7. A.P. PeriyasamyK. KarthikeyanB.DhuraM.S. RinaKhanum,Non-formaldehyde crease resistance finishing of cotton by poly Maleic acid, July 2014,Pakistan Textile Journal 63(7):48-51.
8. Aravin Prince Periyasamy, Non formaldehyde crease resistance finshing of cotton, Research Journal of Apparels and Textiles, 24(5),324-330, 2016.
9. S. M. Gawish, A. M. Ramadan, S. M. Abo El-Ola & A. A. Abou El-Kheir, Citric Acid Used as a Cross-Linking Agent for Grafting β-Cyclodextrin onto Wool Fabric,Polymer-Plastics Technology and Engineering,48:7, 701-710, 2009.
10. Muller M, Irkens-Kiesecker U, Rubinstein B, et al. On the mechanism of hyperacidification in lemon:Comparison of the vacuolar H(+)-ATPase activities of fruits and epicotyls. J Biol Chem1996;271:1916. [PubMed: 8567639].
11. Abbas N, Safdar W, Ali S, Choudhry S, Ellahi S. Citric acid production from Aspergillusniger using banana peel. IJSER. 2016; 7(1):1580-1583.
12. Bauweleers HMK, Groeseneken DR, Van Peij NNME.Genes useful for the industrial production of citric acid. In: Google Patents, 2014,vol1,pp202-213.
13. Puvvada YS, Vankayalapati S, Sukhavas S. Extraction of chitin from chitosan from exoskeleton of shrimp for application in the pharmaceutical industry. Inter Cur Pharma Jour. 2012;1:258-263.
14. Hu Y, Jiang X, Ding Y, Ge H, Yuan Y, Yang C. Synthesis and characterization of chitosan–poly(acrylic acid) nanoparticles. Elsevier. Biomaterials. 2002;23:3193-3201.
15. Trotman, E.R, Dyeing & Chemical Technology .of Textile Fibres, Charles Griffin and Co.Ltd., London. 1990.
16. Shenai, V.A., Fundamentals of Principles of Textile Wet Processing, Shevak Publications, 1984.
17. D B Chattopadhyay, D.N Sharma &P.De, Studies on non-formaldehyde finishing of cotton fabric using citric acid and additive chemicals, International journal of textile and fibre research,24,284-289,1999.
18. Karthikeyan M. Ramasamy and AbiyuKereboBerekute, Impact of mosquito repellent finishing on cotton/polyester blended fabric using extract of sennaauriculata flowers, International Journal of Current Research, 10, (11),2018: 75443-75446.
19. KalkidanTadesse, Dr.G.Nalankilli, Antimicrobial Finishing of Cotton with Extracts of SolanumIncanum Fruit, International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET), Volume: 04 Issue: 08 | Aug -2017.